Friday 6 July 2012

Breda, Netherlands

Heather and Hermine Mendelaar in Breda. We met Hermine and Sjoerd in 1985-86
when we lived in Ohakune where they were growing various crops. We met them
again in Breda a week or so ago for the first time in 25 years. Hermine is a lovely
person and the friendship was just the same as it was in Ohakune even though
we had not seen her in that time. Hermine and Sjoerd are no longer together but
they both live in Breda as do their four children. We knew Charlotte, Zoe
and Jasper from Ohakune (but not Mena) and Hermine and Sjoerd
remembered Sam. 

We went to a working windmill which was exciting. It's a kind of hobby thing but
they grind wheat and rye and sell bread.




Lunch in Breda: Heather, Hermine and Charlotte.

Cycling towards the Belgian border.

Zoe with baby Mina, Ingrid, Heather, Charlotte, Sjoerd, me and Hermine.

Hermine with Mina.

Sjoerd, Ingrid and Heather in  Belgian pub.

Because I could not "get my leg over" on a man's bike (because of my damaged hip), I
had to ride an "oma feites" (a granny's bike). 

Jasper, Hermine and me just before we left Breda.

No comments:

Post a Comment